Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wine Cork Place Card Holder

Anyone that knows me knows that I do love a good glass of wine every once in a while. What some of you don't know is that living in the Pacific NW, we have a lot of great winery's here and once a year my husband and I drive down to Napa, CA for a week vacation. There is a reason to our madness at driving...yes, it is to bring back all that great wine that we have found traipsing all over the valley for.

We had been saving all our wine corks for my brother, who was giving them to a friend to make cork trivits....I think. Anyway, now I don't have to save them for him, but make something useful out of them. We don't have a lot of large dinner parties where we would need name cards, but wouldn't this be great for a wine tasting to indicate what type of wine everyone was drinking. You could have one that said Merlot and another one that said Cabernet, etc. Or, as I'm brainstorming here, you could use them as a display holder for jewelry prices at a show, such as earrings $10.00, bracelets $25-$50, etc. There goes my jewelry brain, I have two shows this month to prepare for so, I'm gearing up. I'm sure there are so many other ways to use wine corks other than the obvious wine trivit, so lets get our thinking caps on and create something. So, this tutorial is for all you wine drinkers out there who saves those wine corks for no other reason than to know you drank that bottle of wine.

This tutorial is courtsey of Hope Studios. The supplies are simple, so check out the tutorial and have fun making those card holders.
Supplies:
Used wine corks, drink up! (you can always ask a local restaurant to save them for you, but what fun is that? I like the stained look of a used cork, and you are recycling something that would be tossed out.)
Card stock
Palm sander or sandpaper and a block of wood
Fine-toothed Hand saw or razor blade

No comments:

Post a Comment